|Links, Maps and Other Information|
|Massachusetts DMF Recreational Finfish Restrictions for 2008|
|SPECIES||NOTE||MIN. SIZE||OPEN SEASON||POSSESSION LIMIT|
|AMERICAN EEL||6"||all year||50 fish|
|BLACK SEA BASS||12"||all year||20 fish|
|BLUEFISH||none||all year||10 fish|
Cod Conservation Zone
|24"||4/01 - 10/31
11/01 - 11/30
12/01 - 2/28
2 fish / person (75 lb / boat
north of cape cod
|24"||4/01 - 10/31
11/01 - 3/31
2 fish / person (75 lb / boat)
South & east of cape cod
|22"||all year||10 fish|
|HADDOCK||(8)||19"||all year||10 fish|
|HERRING||(6)||Harvest, possession, sale and use are prohibited|
|SCUP||(3)||10.5"||5/24 - 9/26||10 fish|
|SMELT||none||6/16 - 3/4||none|
|STRIPED BASS||(4)||28"||all year||2 fish|
|TAUTOG||16"||all year||3 fish|
|WEAKFISH||16"||all year||10 fish|
|WHITE PERCH||8"||all year||25 fish|
|GREY SOLE||14"||all year||none|
|FLUKE||17-1/2"||6/10 - 8/15||5 fish|
|WINTER FLOUNDER north of cape cod||(5)||12"||all year||8 fish|
|WINTER FLOUNDER south & east of cape cod||(5)||12"||4/26 - 5/25 9/27 - 10/26||4 fish|
|YELLOWTAIL FLOUNDER||13"||all year||none|
|BLUE MARLIN||(7)||86"||all year||1 fish|
|WHITE MARLIN||(7)||62"||all year||1 fish|
1) Subject to regulation by the Division and local community. Consult local regulations
2) Black sea bass are measured from the tip of the snout or jaw (mouth closed) to the farthest extremity of the tail, not including the tail filament
3) Maximum 20 scup per private vessel. Party/charter vessel patrons: 11" size limit, 45 fish May 15 - Jun 28, 10 fish Jun 29 - Sep 17.
4) Bass must be kept whole, with head, tail and body intact - no mutilation permitted (other than evisceration). The discard of dead, legal size striped bass is prohibited. To prohibit the practice of high-grading, recreational fishermen may not retain legal-sized striped bass and release said fish in favor of another larger legal-sized striped bass captured subsequently. It shall be unlawful to keep striped bass alive in the water by attaching a line or chain to the fish or placing the fish in a live well or holding car. Striped bass are measured from the tip of the snout or jaw (mouth closed) to the farthest extremity of the tail.
5) Winter flounder may not be taken from Mount Hope Bay and its tributaries except recreational fishermen may take 4 fish between Apr 13 and May 19 and between Sep 28 and Oct 28
6) It is unlawful for any person to harvest, possess or sell river herring in the Commonwealth or in the waters under the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth. These measures will expire on January 1, 2009.
7) Billfish are measured from the tip of the lower jaw to the tail fork
8) Federal rules apply beyond state waters. consult NOAA Fisheries
| Finfish Minimum Size Limits are measured
as the greatest straight line (not curved over the body) length in
inches as measured on a fish with its mouth closed from the anterior
tip of the jaw or snout to the farthest extremity of the tail.
For fish with forked tails, the upper and lower fork may be squeezed together to measure the tail extremity.
Exception: black sea bass where the tail filament is not included, and billfish that are measured from the tip of the lower jaw to the tail fork.
Snagging, Snatching of Anadromous Fish: including shad, smelt, white perch, striped bass, trout, and salmon, but excluding alewives or river herring is prohibited.
The taking of striped bass by any other means other than hook and line is prohibited.
The discard of dead, legal size striped bass is prohibited.
The taking of billfish using other than a rod and reel is prohibited.
The taking of Atlantic Salmon, Sturgeon, all Marine Mammals, all sea turtles and the Diamond Back Terrapin from Massachusetts waters is prohibited.
For anyone, except the owner, to handle destroy or molest any lobster or crab pot or other fishing gear including any gear swept up on the shore, beaches or flats whether public or private, or to take fish there from is illegal.
To take crabs by pot without a permit is illegal
All prices are in U.S. dollars and do not include sales tax. We are not responsible for typographical errors.
All prices are for cash & carry, shipping and handling charges will be applied to mail orders.
copyright ©2006 Cape Cod Tackle